I have recently heard from a friend that Toyota plans to cut its pay (either through benefits, raises, or cold hard cash) by about $4 per hour to employees at the Georgetown plant. I always knew this would happen eventually. Toyota, keeping an eye on what Detroit pays its employees, and knowing what typical wages in Kentucky are, decided that it was paying its employees too much darn money. Of course, they won't just take $4 per hour straight out of the employees checks, but it still is going to hurt them plenty.
Toyota has reached a point where they are more interested in the BILLION$ they are making each quarter than the well-being of its employees. Endearing television commercials and sappy magazine advertisements can't convince anyone any more that Toyota cares about its employees.
I was one who wanted the UAW to come to Toyota while I was employed there. Unfortunately there were too many others who opposed it, because Toyota was their Savior and would never let them down. It's too bad the employees don't have an avenue for bargaining with management at the Georgetown plant. If so, they might have possibly been able to stave off some of the planned cuts.
P.S.
Gary Convis came from the NUMMI plant in California. This is a joint venture between Toyota and GM. It is also a UAW plant. They employees and NUMMI have a unique contract. There is a clause in it that states NUMMI will never lay off an employee, and in return the employees will never strike. I always thought it was funny when I would see videos of Gary Convis while still at NUMMI talking about how great the UAW is and what a great NUMMI had with the UAW. Then, like Jeckyll into Hyde, when he came to the Georgetown Toyota plant, suddenly he hated the UAW, and there could never be ANY good relationship between Toyota and the UAW. Suddenly the UAW only brought bad things to any table people gathered around to discuss things.
Yeah, pretty funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment